Buying a new home is a climax in most people’s homes. There are few experiences as enthralling as moving into a brand new home. The excitement can be marred when it comes time to decorate the home.
Few first-time home buyers are able to turn the sterile, off white shell of a house into a comfortable home that is both an expression of your personality and a ‘safe place’ to retire every evening.
“Don’t Panic. I am Here to Help.”
You do not need to pay thousands of dollars to turn a house into a comfortable home. The first thing you need to do is ‘not’ grab a half dozen home decorating magazines and hit the home decorating stores.
The first thing you need to do is to look through your closet, walk around your living area, and make a list of the colors that are comfortable. At this point, don’t worry about image, design, trends, or style. Start by finding out what makes you feel comfortable.
Then head to the paint store and collect color samples based on what you like. Once you have samples, it is time to discuss decorating schemes. Before selecting a decorating scheme, it is important to determine what your lifestyle is:
1. Will you have children?
2. How many hours a week can you realistically spend cleaning?
3. How many hours a year do you currently entertain?
4. How much can you realistically spend monthly on dry cleaning expensive fabrics?
5. How many hours a week do you spend in the kitchen, living room, and bedrooms?
6. Will you own pets?
7. How often will you replace window treatments, bedding, flooring, and furniture?